Security and password recommendations continue to change and adapt to the rapidly evolving technology world. Global threats, endless script kiddies, and social engineering continue to change the landscape.
In June 2017, NIST, The National Institute of Security and Technology, released special publication 800-63B. The document discusses digital identity guidelines and includes many recommendations.
One of the recommendations in the guide is that users should continue to use unique passwords for each service/website that they utilize. Secondly, service providers should support the ability for users to paste passwords into the appropriate fields. Accepting pasted passwords is recommended because it enables users to utilize password managers that increase the likelihood that users use strong passwords.
At MSJ, we are big fans of password managers. A good password manager provides several advantages:
* You only need to remember one password.
* It helps improves the quality of all of your passwords.
* Empowers you to have unique passwords for each product.
Over the years, we have tried many password managers, all of which have their strengths and weaknesses. Over the past year, we have fallen in love with Dashlane.
Why Dashlane for Business?
Dashlane for Business has many features that we like.
1. It allows administrators to enforce two-factor authentication.
2. It supports Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android.
3. The password health dashboard teaches users how to improve their passwords.
4. The administrator dashboard allows security departments to ensure that employees are using a robust set of passwords.
5. Dashlane monitors accounts to ensure that they are not included in published breaches.
6. The applications spaces allow users to separate personal passwords from work passwords.
7. The password sharing functionality. Password sharing is great for the day the CEO is on vacation, and there is that one service that does not permit multiple accounts.
We highly encourage everyone to take a look at password managers for their day-to-day activities and recommend that they include Dashlane in their investigation.
Please contact us if you need assistance with Dashlane or other specialized tools.